Sunday, March 2, 2014

Knowing Nothing About King Arthur

 
            So as Dr. MB said, I have been working on a paper that involves Merlin, Logres, and Arthur. As I have been coming through various versions of the legends, I realized how much of it was new to me. I didn’t know that is how Mordred died, I didn’t know that was how Gawayne died, and I didn’t know that was how Arthur was born. Most of the specific adventures are still unknown to me and most of the ones I know now I have read for college. I attribute my interest in the Middle Ages to Lord of the Rings not Arthur. Yet somehow I knew the basic story quiet well. I have been trying to figure out where I got it from and have found that I have had surprisingly little exposure to it. And the things I did see I somehow knew to be wrong or only part of the story. I saw the Sword in the Stone once and I barely remember it. The only thing I really do remember is that I hated it because I felt it was getting the story wrong; it was far too silly to bear the weight of the legend. The only other thing I remember from childhood is that once my family spent a couple of days in Vegas and we went and toured the Excalibur Hotel. We didn’t see a joust or anything, but we did stop in the gift shop where we got some wooden swords with the sword in the stone inscription and mislabeled Excalibur. Still, I remember thinking that the hotel did not have it right, and that it was not fair that my brother found a 50 dollar bill on the floor. Molly brought up the medieval fair Arthur episode, which I remember watching in high school with my little sister. The only piece of Arthurian legend that I remember I felt good about was the Grail legend from Indiana Jones. That is all the direct Arthurian exposure I can remember getting before college.
            The best I can guess is that at least part of my idea about what the King Arthur legend should be came from the sense I got from hearing my parents and others talk about it. I know my parents never told me stories about Arthur; they say that now. But from them I must have gotten the sense that it was in fact a legend, and was important for being so somehow. My dad had to explain the mock middle English inscription of my wooden sword, and from that got that it must be fairly important thing to be king of England for someone to put it so official sounding on a sword. To wrap up this ramble then. It seems to me that much of what I and perhaps others got of Arthur was more roomer than content. By running into a lot of references to something one gets the idea that those little bits represent a much larger and important story. So maybe Arthur continues as a legend because that is sometime the first sense someone has of it. It is an important but ancient part of culture because that is how we grow up understanding it.

2 comments:

  1. You make an interesting point, Andrew. I can except the fact that the 'rumor' of Arthur has persisted much more than the detailed content, especially with the edits, editions and modernizations of the legend. I can't quite pinpoint where I first learned of Arthur, Merlin and everything either. I know that my parents didn't teach it to me, although they are from one of Britain's colonies, and I moved around a lot as a child so I can't speak to any singular school or home where I first picked it up.
    I have always been interested in the "Sword and Sorcery" subgenre and eagerly fit in thoughts of Excalibur, dragons, wizards and knights into my favorite reading catergory. Why the myth has persisted so long, only you can tell us, Time Wizard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its hard to say; it’s all wibbly wobbly, timey wimey :) I can guess some of the connections with the “sword and sorcery” stuff. A lot of it I have encountered seems to have come in some way from The Lord of the Rings, which is itself connected in many ways to Arthur. So it would make sense that Arthur would be right at home there.

      Delete