Saturday, March 8, 2014

Romeo and Juliet


I think in class I made my opinion of the movie version of Romeo and Juliet pretty clear. When watching it for the assignment I had a hard time getting through it. However, knowing that I did have a strong dislike for the movie, I tried to approach this viewing with a more open mind and willingness to find the good in the movie.

To start, the bad ….


1.)The Modern Setting – I really struggle with Shakespeare’s original play set in modern time. It takes away some of the meaning to the story for me, like Juliet’s arranged marriage to Paris, and her parents control over her. If the play took place in a traditional setting then Juliet’s parent would be arranging a marriage to provide her with a stable and secure future. In the modern setting I did not feel like that motive was as clear. That changes the story for me in understanding why Juliet’s parents were trying to marry her to Paris.


http://www.tumblr.com/search/romeo+and+juliet+1996

2.) The Weapon Choice- I know we talked about this in class, but the use of guns bother me in the movie. The primary reason for this is that a gun seems like a reactive weapon, while a sword requires some skill. It seems an easier weapon to use a gun (in the movies) than a sword. 

http://www.tumblr.com/search/romeo+and+juliet+1996


Next, the positives ….

11 .)  The Death of Mercutio and Tybalt - One thing I liked in the movie was the death of Mercutio and Tybalt. I found this to be a really powerful scene, and I think that was because of what we talked about in class, how this was the first moment where someone’s life was lost as a consequence. I really liked the emotions that were portrayed in these sequences of events; from Mercutio’s devastation of dying, to Tybalt’s shock at killing Mercutio, to Romeo’s rage. I think this scene does a good job showing the reactions that come out of their behaviors.
http://www.tumblr.com/search/romeo+and+juliet+1996

2.) Again, Weapons – I know, I said this is what I didn’t like about the movie, but in two scene, after much internal debate. I agree with the decision to use a gun. The first is Romeo killing Tybalt because I like the irrational emotionally driven response Romeo has, and I think the use of guns adds to it. Second, would be Juliet’s death. In a way her death was not as pretty as it usually is shown. It was messy and bloody, which I found to be a good ending commentary on the whole tragic story.
poetry.rapgenius.com

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the reason for marrying Juliet to Paris wasn't as clear in this one! It definitely didn't provide any explanation for that in the modern day setting.
    I was also reading the imdb trivia page for the movie and I found this (sadly uncited) tidbit: "Shakespeare described Tybalt swordsmanship as "showy". To transform this into flamboyant gunplay, John Leguizamo worked with choreographer John O'Connell to create a flamenco-inspired style." I'm not sure how successful they were at transitioning from sword to gun but I did find it interesting!

    ReplyDelete