Saturday, May 3, 2014

Final Thoughts



            This has been a great class and I am sorry to see it end. It was great to have a chance to bring and discus some of the texts I thoroughly enjoy but never seem to make it into class. I was also surprised by fandom in both the research project and in our time spent with Harry Potter and Sherlock. I knew it was there but never gave it much thought, but you guys (and you Dr. MB), have shown me how it can be a valuable resource when studying a text and possibly a place to find some interesting and unique creative endeavors.
            This was a lot of fun and would jump at the chance to do it again.

4 comments:

  1. That's the thing about this class that's so important. It's so easy for academics and college educated citizens to fall into two schools of though regarding fandom: A) it's a waste of time for nerds and misanthropes who can't get their heads out of fantasy or B) a field that needs academic discussion and debate in order to have any sort of legitimacy.

    In the end. popular culture and fandom is merely another lens through which to evaluate the world around us. It's a fascinating web of fiction, art, meta, and AU working together to tell a story untold or unacknowledged through conventional means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I will miss this class and our discussions very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M NOT SOBBING, THERE'S JUST A TREE BRANCH IN MY EYE!

    This class was awesome! I mean, just at it's most basic level it was a group of people talking about fandom stuff and that is just so freakin' rewarding. All I want to do at the end of the day is talk about the books and shows that I love, rave about the characters, salivate at the settings, all that groovy stuff. I'm glad this class allowed me to do this.

    Lastly, but not leastly, I love all of ya'll. This class was full of some great people and I'm glad you all put up with my crazy. I'm gonna miss this beautiful cocktail of humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to miss this class SOOOO much! It was my favorite of the semester. I feel I really got to know a lot of people in class and learned how to effectively use fandom and fanfiction for real-world purposes. Really, BEST CLASS EVER :)

    ReplyDelete