Saturday, March 15, 2014

Romeo and Juliet the Musical

West Side Story has to be one of my favorite renditions of a classic movie.  Unlike the Baz Luhrman version of Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story was much more enjoyable.  Probably due to the fact that it’s a musical.

A story/movie is always better with a little singing and dancing.

Oh, and the fact that the guy who played Action (Tony Mordente) is hands down the spitting image of Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends).  That was pretty entertaining.


It’s hard to put my finger on it, but there is something so different and special about West Side Story.  Perhaps it’s the 1960s New York setting or the two very distinguishable rival gangs, but the movie made the story of Romeo and Juliet so much more tangible for me.




As all of you know, I’m not a huge fan of the Rome and Juliet story, classic or revised.  But there were so many slightly altered aspects of the movie that created an entirely different story while still remaining true to the original Shakespearean play.  And I loved it.

I think the one change that really resonated with me was the ending.  When Tony is shot and falls right into the embracing arms of Maria is the most heart wrenching scene.  Being a rendition of Romeo and Juliet I obviously expected Maria to snap and immediately kill herself out of grief.  But I was pleasantly surprised when instead, she got up and yelled at everyone for what they did.

I was so proud of Maria for doing this.  By having Maria standing amid the crowd of opposing forces, waving a gun and sobbing, brought home the true gravity of the situation.  Her bravery, along with her dignified departure at the end of the last scene, is what really impressed me. 



I also loved the fact that after Tony’s death, when the Jets began carrying his body out of the park, a few of the Sharks came to help lift the body.  I also believe that Baby John was the one who draped a black scarf on Maria’s head at that moment too.  Those subtle touches of new-found camaraderie are what set that scene over the top.  It was a sad moment, but also a moment of enlightenment for the characters and the audience.  It showed just how much petty and unnecessary violence could affect the innocent (and those in love).


1 comment:

  1. I too felt that the ending made this version so much more satisfying than the others. I believe it was you, Kerri, who talked about Juliet's agency in Romeo and Juliet and doing what she wanted instead of what her parents wanted her to do. I think this ending follows through on that when she uses her voice as the cause for change between the gangs.

    ReplyDelete