Monday, March 10, 2014

Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss

Wow, I have never regretted anything more than my decision to watch this movie. It...It hurts us. THE SEAL THAT IS MERCUTIO ONLY SPEAKS IN FAMOUS SHAKESPEARE LINES. IT BUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNS

This is Mercutio riding on Benvolio and they speak the most lines in the beginning and it is a mixture of bastardized Shakespearean lines and current lingo. And there is DO-WOP SINGING
"PARTYING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW" THAT IS A SENTENCE IN THIS MOVIE.

So, strangely enough this movie keeps some of the actual dialogue from the play. It is really upsetting more than anything because it alters the line just enough to slip a seal pun.

So, I didn't watch the movie in its entirety, I skipped to the end where they seem to kill off Romeo and Juliet but then Mercutio surfs in and yells at them to wake up. And they do. And then I want to knife myself in the eyeball.

But I do think that it is interesting that it was made with the intention of entertaining children. Romeo and Juliet is not a story I would imagine children enjoying. I mean, I know that children are filled to the brim with blood lust but most people ignore this about children.

We did talk about this in class about how there is an appeal for that child like impulsiveness. The way teenagers and kids just do things without consequence is something adults wish they could still do in the real world.

Sooo, if you hated Romeo + Juliet then you should totally watch Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss. It will change your whole perspective on what is bad about the varied versions of this story. This one isn't even good/bad. It is just the worst.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you took the time to watch this. I love it even more that it literally was just as bad as it sounded. It's interesting that someone was compelled to make a Shakespearean tragedy "kid friendly," but then again, people will do anything to keep from writing an original screenplay. I'm glad to know that I can put this movie on my "what not to watch" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nooooo I really wanted this to be good. I'm so sad, it had so much potential. Like, "Sealed with a Kiss," that's the perfect set up for the perfect punny parody!!! I'm so upset that this sucked and I might even try and watch it anyway.

    ReplyDelete