Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Snitches



            So while I am not much of a Harry Potter fan, I could see myself following Quidditch matches. It is just such a bizarre but intricate and strategically complex game. Oddly enough, game in the books (or rather the one book I read) did not strike me the same way. It just seemed like the magical companion of rugby. Of course wizards would have a sport that involves flying and abnormally dangerous elements. It seemed to me that the game was designed to give Harry an important position. The game only ends when the snitch is caught, only the seeker can catch it, and oh the snitch is worth so many points that the team that catches it usually wins. So why is the rest of the game there?  Did there just need to be a field of twelve other players who divert attention from snitch chasing?
Out of book Quidditch (which I really want to call Muggle Quidditch, but I think I would be wrong and probably insult a bunch of players) The best explanation of the game I found is actually the documenter posted on Black Board. Catching the snitch is no longer such an advantage, and means that the seeker has to time his catch to make sure his team has the upper hand when the game ends. Also by making the snitch a person it adds a dynamic to the community. The snitch is a one man team that the fans are just as ready to applaud as any other. Here is a video of an exceptional snitch. What he does is cool, but I enjoyed the way the crowd is in league with him.


I tried to put this in the post but my internet hates me.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...that is one dedicated snitch! The crowd following for the snitch alone was so incredible. I've never been to a Quidditch game before, but after seeing this is HAVE to go. I especially loved how in the beginning one of the players was still holding his broom while climbing the tree. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could/would never be able to be a snitch. One, I'm a fatass so I would be caught in like 30 seconds. Two, It takes a level of expertise that I don't possess. I think that "muggle" snitches have to work harder than wizard seekers have to work. Maybe it's because Harry Potter is stupid talented and we're stuck with his perspective so it looks easy. But, the snitches in muggle quidditch are exerting waaaay more energy to accomplish their goal.

    It's hard out here for a Snitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the Youtube video about Quidditch (under blackboard), after our last class, and was surprised by the intensity and violence of the sport. I guess when I pictured muggle Quidditch, I thought it would be gentler, but was surprised by the aggression involved. I think the physical contact of the sport gives it a larger audience than just Harry Potter fans, and can make the idea of the books appealing for those who ere not originally fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wizard Quidditch is incredibly stupid sport I agree. The whole idea is to base winning and the end of the game on a singular object flying about the field. The entirety of everything depends on the Seeker because, as occurred/was mentioned in the series, the game continues until the Snitch is caught though the point system determines the win. A 150 point bonus on top of instant game stopper does make the Snitch incredibly OP only countered by the fact that Bludgers are allowed and there is only one Seeker per team.

    ReplyDelete